Second Degree Black Belt BJJ
Ben Baxter is a Eugene/Springfield native and has been actively practicing martial arts since 1999, at the age of 16. He currently has a second-degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under the instruction of, world champion, Rafael Lovato Jr. Within in the past five years he has had the opportunity to travel around the world instructing other determined young men and women in the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, boxing, Muay Thai, and MMA. His credentials range from coaching well-rounded UFC fighters, to implementing great technique in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu group classes.
Baxter’s most recent accomplishments consist of being a three-time World BJJ medalist, four-time Pan- American BJJ medalist, winning gold at the 2014 Houston International Open, winning gold at the American Nationals, and finishing second at the European BJJ championships in 2009.
Baxter initiated his career as a coach when he was a brown belt. He earned his black belt from Wellington “Megaton” Diaz in June of 2009. After giving it a lot of thought, Ben felt that the his relationship with Raphael Lovato Junior was the best fit for him, his future, and his career, so he made the move to became an official member of the Raphael Lovato Junior association. In February of 2016 Ben was awarded his 2nd degree on his black belt from Professor Lovato Jr.
In addition to teaching at the academy, Ben also does volunteer work in the community and recently traveled overseas to support our troops. Twice in 2012, he did USO tours, the first one to Afghanistan (the first ever of it’s kind), and recently, traveled to the Middle East and Africa.
- Las Vegas Spring Open Gold Medalist (2015 black Absolute Class)
- Las Vegas Spring Open Silver Medalist (2015 black)
- Houston International Open Gold Medalist (2014 black)
- Houston International Open Gold Medalist (2014 black Absolute Class)
- American Nationals Gold Medalist-No Gi (2013 black)
- American Nationals Bronze Medalist-Gi (2013)
- European Open Silver Medalist (2009 brown)
- Houston Open Silver Medalist (2010)
- World Bronze Medalist (2007 purple, 2008 & 2009 brown)
- Pan American Bronze Medalist (2007 purple, 2009 brown)
- Las Vegas Open Bronze Medalist (2010 absolute)
- World Pro Cup Trials – Las Vegas 3 place (2011)
Additional information on Ben Baxter can be found at BJJ Heroes